Department of Defense

Department Of Defense

Sunday, August 10, 2008

On The Meat Man

I'm in the supermarket -

Me: I need to know which of these types of steaks are better for grilling. Y'know, the kind where people won't lose a tooth when trying to chew it or maybe mistake it for an old shoe.

Meat Guy: Well this and this are what you are looking for really. (points at 2 types) You want to stay away from these though, 'cause they are tougher. (points at others) I'd say your best bet price and cut would be this. (grabs a pack) You said this is for grilling, right?

Me: Yep.

Meat Guy: Oh? Trying to impress someone?

Me: Nope, just cooking at home.

Meat Guy: Awww sweet. You're home from college?

Me: No. I'm 34. Just cooking at home.

Meat Guy: (with the most annoyed look on his face - like I'm a pregnant teenager asking him where to find the condom isle) You're 34 and you have to ask what kind of meat to buy? (He then leaves disappears into the back "meat room" as I stand there with a package of meat and what's left of my dignity)

3 comments:

everglade said...

Right. So while I disagree with this whole barbaric meat-buying process .. he's actually right! You've been a meat eater for 34 years and you can't pick out a steak?! *I* haven't eaten meat in 12 years and I can pick out a steak FFS!

No, but really. He sucks. Leave his crappy store and get thee to a free-range, grass-fed, organic butcher. Since you're paying 3Xs the price for his wares, these folks are usually a little more customer-friendly.

They want to make a case to have you come in for repeat business. Haha.

Unknown said...

Well it looks like customer service isn't his forte. As someone who works in a grocery store, I say you should have complained to the store manager. That was rude beyond belief. Besides, I'm going on 40 and there are meats I still look at and shake my head. :o)

Anonymous said...

Haha, you should have shouted after him 'I'VE BEEN IN A COMA FOR 24 YEARS, YOU INSENSITIVE PRINK!'.

But, seriously, that is so unbelievably rude. I probably would have complained to someone. It's his job to inform anyone - age 5 to 500 - what kind of steak cooks up like buttah. Jerk.