Department of Defense

Department Of Defense

Monday, August 18, 2008

An Email From My Sister

My sister sent this to me, and I had to share, since I took a language in school that is actually useful in my own daily life/work. She chose differently. Yay for the sub-standard schooling of our youth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today I get an email from a former franchisee looking to open a new office, and I decide to jump on it.

GET THIS: He used to be in British Columbia (Canada); he moved to Les Houches (France) and asked me with his fancy French ways "would it be possible to start a franchise in the EU?"

So, I answer him back, "Absolument! Which states and counties are you interested in?"--because in my limited knowledge of French, EU stands for "Etas Unis" which is "United States" in English. So, I assume [erroneously] that he is moving back to the States and looking for opportunity HERE.

Anyway, the new sales manager politely informs me that EU actually stands for European Union, which after a little online research I found is made up of 27 countries which use the Euro as their currency: France, Ireland, Denmark, the UK, etc. are some of the bigger ones.

So, I have egg on my face.


THANK YOU VERY MUCH, MADEMOISELLE DUPUIS--I OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO USE FOR THE BEAUTIFUL BUT WORTHLESS FRENCH LANGUAGE APPLICATION IN REAL LIFE, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF BEING ABLE TO READ "LE PETIT PRINCE" IN FRENCH AND UNDERSTANDING THE STORY. OTHERWISE, IT IS ABSOLUTELY USELESS TO ME! MERDE!

2 comments:

Kris <3 said...

Well i must say.. i took French for quite some time.. and all i really remember is PAMPLEMOUSSE aka GRAPEFRUIT... how that will help me?! i have no idea! : ) lol!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!