Department of Defense

Department Of Defense

Monday, August 4, 2008

Because That Makes Sense...

On the drive home from a well-deserved Starbucks Decaf Nonfat Caramel Macchiato with an extra pump of sugar-free vanilla syrup for me and a Mint Mocha Chip Lite Frappuchino with no whipped cream (minus the chips due to an apparent counter-wide shortage) Lisa explained her day to me. Rather, she waited patiently for me to finish my rantings about mine before she could get a word in. Today was just one of those Mondays when you wake up, get through your day and realize that it would have been a better day all around if you had only been apprehended by a savage band of spider monkeys who tied you to a cactus and forced you to listen to Amy Winehouse podcast interviews and bite your toenails to an uneven length. It was just that bad.

So, Lisa works at Completely Fake University, henceforth to be known as CFU or FU for short - so as not to "Dooce" ourselves. It is there where she slaves the labour of love to educate select members of the masses. She also attends some classes from time to time as well. She is often requested by professors to tutor other students in the highest levels of certain types of classes, even when she has never taken that subject. As this happens often, she has had to "crash and learn" many things via a book and Google search, and as a result is kind of disgustingly smart.

Today she had to tutor one such case and got through the session helping the person and learning the subject as well. I queried why no one else could tutor, and she said that no one other than the professors knows the material. Well, the same went for her, except she put in the hour of study and mastered it. I guess that's the kind of gal she is. Well, by the time she was summing up the day, she said there was a person she couldn't help. The rest was this.

Me: Why couldn't you help them?

Lisa: Because I'm taking that particular class, and they have a rule at CFU that says you cannot tutor someone if you are currently studying that subject.

Me: Oh, but it's fine to tutor someone in something you've never even heard of?

Lisa: Apparently.

4 comments:

calugg said...

But of course. When I started teaching at Fallen Ivy University, I was the prof in an area in which I had NEVER taken a class, although I did baby-sit for the resident guru on the subject..... I guess that gig gave me the requistie expert knowledge.

The damndest things will make you qualified in higher ed....

Gazelle said...

Awww heck, I think you may have just foreseen my future...!

Anonymous said...

That... is utterly ridiculous!

Gazelle said...

Welcome to CFU. How may I be of assistance today?