Department of Defense

Department Of Defense

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A reminder that I'm human

At 11:30 today, Alice had another vet's appointment to check up on that zit she got last week. Just a usual day in the lives of the Gazelle and Alice, frankly. We spend so much time with our vet that we're putting her daughter through college, even though she's only a year old. She's a genius. And Carolina, the receptionist is just a delight.

So, Alice and I are sitting there in the waiting room, opposite a guy of about 60 and his huge Newfoundland-type, Lucky. Out of the blue, an elderly woman rushes in (and so as not to unwittingly cause offense to anyone, I would estimate her age around 75), up to the desk, and sobs "I think she's dead already."

Carolina ran outside with the woman, and brought her dog in on a big blue carry-stretcher. It turns out her beloved dog was thankfully not yet passed, but our amazing vet was able to work her magic and put her out of her misery while Mommy and Daddy held a paw each.

I did my best to keep it together, retain composure and that stiff upper lip, but failed. The woman was distraught, understandably, and Carolina had tears in her eyes and just kept saying "I'm so sorry." I know death is a part of life, but I felt so bad for them.

I've recently become increasingly aware that the usual things don't seem to be upsetting me in the way they should. Cue much introspection. Movies don't get to me, nor music. Nothing. This experience this morning was a reminder that I am human, whether I like it or not. I've done my best to put memories of similar experiences out of my head, but I can still imagine those two elderly people going home to an empty house, and it breaks my heart. I miss my Becky and Murphy. Both Lucky and Alice got extra cuddles this morning, that's for sure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You, my dear, are most definately human. I would have been a bawling mess if I had been there. You can come and cuddle Murphy and Rylee if you need a puppy fix.

Hope Barb and Alice are both feeling better!

everglade said...

Awww. That is so sad. What was wrong with the pup that died? Just old age .. or was she/he hit by a car or something??

It's sad when animals pass. But, if they pass calmly in a vet's office, surrounded by ones who love them, it's less harsh. Because, frankly, you do everything you can for your animals, but the most you can possibly do for them is just love them til the end.

I'm all teary now. :(

But, on another note .. thanks for blogging! I like your writing as much as Ms Lig. :)

Anonymous said...

I would have sobbed like a baby. :(

This reminds me of a time a few years ago when I found a dying baby bird outside the office I was working at the time. Saw it at lunch, baking on the pavement of the parking lot, and talked with my Boss about how it made me sad. Saw it was still out there, on the pavement, and not dead when I left work, so I bundled it up in some goodwill clothes I had in the trunk and took it to the vet. I was bawling when I brought it in... hell, I still get teary just thinking about it, and they ended its suffering.

Now where's Ollie - I need to schnoogle him...