Department of Defense

Department Of Defense

Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Special Day

I don't really have much to talk about today, but for reasons that will make themselves clear, I need to post.

I gave myself the day off school today, because I spent a lot of yesterday in bed, and a lot of last night with my best buddy, NyQuil. I still feel a little like I imagine a camel's ass to feel. Do camels have asses? Surely they can carry everything all by themselves.

Anyway, I'm a little nervous about the whole thing...DeVry in its infinite wisdom moved everything over to 8 week courses only, so I missed out today on ⅛ of my poetry class and a sixteenth of my advanced databases. I'm not sure that Rywalt gives points for attendance, but I know I missed out on 20 easy points and perhaps increased understanding by missing the poetry. Meh. I'm almost certain that I missed a great lecture in database too, because the woman just rocks my socks and actually knows what she's talking about. I shouldn't beat myself up about it. It's done and dusted now. Still, old habits die hard.

Speaking of dying...today is 8 years since my Mum died. My fingers just tried to spell that with an O. I've been in the US too long. Anyway, I always make an effort to check in with her online on a select few days of the year, and this is one of them, no matter how incoherent I currently feel.

It's a little odd, I think, that last night she, my Nanna, and my Granddad all had cameos in my dream. My grandparents were helping me make a pizza out of marble in North Carolina, and then explode it at the vital moment to help feed the aquatic creatures. Mum sat in the corner, in a wheelchair, with my Dad, and tried to ignore the kittens flying at her. The strangest part of the dream (really, it gets more odd) was when I was standing by the curtain, and she said something racist. Quite un-Mumlike. In my dream, my initial reaction was "Muuuuuum!!" (said in that whiny 15 year old "you're embarrassing me" voice), and then I checked myself. I became suddenly aware that it wasn't real and she was gone, and that I needed to decide if I would rather spend my limited time with her embarrassed, or enjoying ourselves. Suffice to say, I went with the enjoying ourselves option, and wheeled her over to the marble pizza.

1 comment:

Ligie said...

We know I try not to make comments here, since I am one of the two people blogging, but I feel it's important enough for me to say "I'm a big poophead for not saying anything to you all day about this." I know I'm in a sick haze, but c'mon - I'm better than that and you deserve more from me. So, I'll stop typing in a second and come over there to give you a huge, awkward and intrusive hug. Yay!

Aren't you just peeing with joy?