Department of Defense

Department Of Defense

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Job Update

I've bored you senseless with tales of my stress over this particular job, so it seems only fair that I keep you updated and 'in-the-loop'. See? I'm ready to go back into the business world, I've got the lingo down pat. And Roger.

I was going out of my tiny mind. It's not a far trip, but I was rapidly approaching my destination for a while there last week. On several occasions, I reduced myself to tears by being my very own worst critic. I was ready to throw in the towel. Then, a professor at CFU who I don't actually know happened to walk by my desk while I was oh-so-carefully smashing my skull into it, and offered his assistance. I explained the problem. He decided he wanted to start from scratch with it. I shan't bore you with the details any more than I already have, but essentially, I had a 2-hour intensive brainstorming session with this chap, who ended up working through the problem in the exact same way I did. And reaching a solution.

To be quite honest, if he'd managed to solve the problem any other way, I would have thrown the towel in and not submitted the problem. What's the point, if I didn't do it myself? The fact is though, that he switched a couple of lines of my code around within itself, and made it do what it should do. I was on the right track. I was this close.

Exhilarated and somewhat exhausted, I submitted the project late on Wednesday night, and at 10am the following morning received an email from BossMan, offering me the position. Man, I was ecstatic! Overjoyed, I forwarded his email to my sweetie, and the members of my family, and got to work on finding out what the next step is from here, immigration-wise. I was so excited, in fact, that I forgot to respond to his email.

Yes. In my overwhelmed, overjoyed, over-the-moon state of mind, I forgot to accept the job.

Yesterday, I get a frantic phone call from DR, saying that BossMan wants to know what the hell the deal is, do I want the job or not, will I ever write back? *smacks self* Hard. I responded instantly, although I haven't heard back from him yet.

So...erm...keep your fingers crossed that he doesn't think I'm a complete moron? I'd appreciate it.

3 comments:

calugg said...

Congrats, congrats, congrats on the job. That's spectacular news.

So, when does the fun begin?

Gazelle said...

I'm starting on the paperwork tomorrow, and it's going to take at least 60-90 days before I receive Employment Authorization, but I'm going to offer that I go in during that time, pro bono (as it were) to learn the ropes, and try to ingratiate myself a little. Thanks for the congrats!

Anonymous said...

YOU Smaarrtt :) can't wait to see u in business suits and all :) :)