Department of Defense

Department Of Defense

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Old Lady Hands

It's bizarre and I think it's gross. I think it might be from working 10 years as a deep tissue massage therapist, add to that my prior years working as a sous chef in kitchens and burning my hands all night, add to that the millions of small house jobs where I titter around with my hands and usually end up almost losing a digit or two and it makes them look kinda, well, old.

I am not saying I have the permanently clawed hands, or that I have a million liver spots. no! Not by a long shot. But ever since I began at CoffeeLand; digging into soaking coffee grinds, taking insanely hot steel things from the sanitizer that singe my hands and leave searing red marks, hands constantly being in water; I drag myself home at night and my hands feel weird. I look at my fingertips and it's like they aren't really there. So, I tested myself at work today by rolling my own finger prints on the digital screen. It was worse than I thought. I have okay prints on my #1 and #6 fingers. Even #2 and #7 are passable. The rest, however, are nothing but undetectable markings. These are the same prints I lament when I'm printing a 70+ year old woman with a lifetime of scrubbing bare-handed with bleach and smoking filterless Pall Malls. My prints have worn down so far that when I tried to take them again, this time in a special ink, using a ridge raising compound, the results were the same unreadable blobby smear.

Why, oh why didn't I just marry into money and be done with it? Then I'd have pretty hands that would be manicured and perfect.

4 comments:

arestocracy said...

Sweet!!! Now you can begin your other, other side job as a super-spy with no fingerprints!!!

calugg said...

Eh...It happens. I've notice my hands are increasingly gnarly at age 45. But then there were those 15 years as a professional musician (instrumentalist) followed by the 17+ years as a professional geek--which means lots and lots of keyboarding.

If you want to see BEAUTIFUL hands, check out any professional keyboardist's (if their technic is worth a damn). Just gorgeous hands. All muscle and elegance.

Ugly hands? See football.

Whit said...

The fact that your 'prints' are leaving less and less of a trace means you can get them into more and more trouble with less and less recourse... You know, that's a darn good question. What would you do, not do or better yet re-do with your hands if their actions could magically be untraceable and have a different outcome? I'm probably certian you wouldn't be putting them in steaming baths of hot coffee grounds... For me, I would just keep my digits to myself more. Should have listened to that teacher more...If I only knew then what I know now!

Gazelle said...

Hey hey! You *did* marry into money. I've just misplaced it. But your manicure is pending, I promise.