Department of Defense

Department Of Defense

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Lost in Translation

I love listening to two of my colleagues converse. They're both from the former Soviet Union, and it's just much easier for them to discuss problems in Russian than English. So we can all just be sitting there working when the room is suddenly filled with Russki dulcet tones.

Of course, in our business, not everything is translatable. So I will often hear (and no disrespect to any Russians, but I can't think of how else to write this):

Каков IP address?

and

Только Select выбор и поместите это в Cursor.

I find it all very amusing, and it reminds me of a time long ago, where I sat in a German movie theater to watch Independence Day for the first time. In German. I didn't understand a great deal of it at the time (although given its genre, most of the words were unnecessary), but what sticks out in my mind is the random utterances of "Mr President," "Big Mama," and "Independence Day" thrust into a slew of guttural vocabulary.

I've still never seen that in English.

No comments: